Public health officials in San Francisco announced in January 2018 that 57 people (students and teachers), have come down with norovirus in a local elementary school. This happened at McKinley Elementary, located in the heart of the city, and one of the city’s larger elementary schools.
"McKinley started noticing students with a pattern of symptoms that were suspicious for norovirus when school re-opened after winter break," says Gentle Blythe, a spokesperson for the San Francisco Unified School District.
Blythe added that while there were no plans to close the school, school administrators are working with the city’s Public Health Department, teaching custodial workers how to effectively clean the school and stop the spread of the disease.
When people come down with norovirus, it often causes severe intestinal and stomach inflammation. Most people, including young children in an elementary school, can become very sick for two to three days, but rarely does anyone die from norovirus.
According to Duane Carey with DayMark Safety Systems, the big problem with norovirus is that it frequently causes what is termed, “forceful vomiting.” The virus that causes norovirus is in the vomit and with force, it becomes airborne, it can spread as far as 25 feet from the vomiting incident area.
“If I could advise the custodial workers, I would tell them there are three things they must do before cleaning up such an incident,” says Carey. “Protect yourself, remove everyone from the incident area, and make sure a spill kit is handy.”
Carey explains that because cleaning workers are aware of just how crucial it is to cleanup a vomiting incident, especially in an elementary school, and especially when norovirus is a concern, “they often rush to the scene without thinking just how contagious norovirus is. Protective gear, including gloves, gowns, and facial masks, even shoe covers, must be put on first before any cleaning operation begins.”
As to removing everyone from the area, Carey says this is critical. “Because the norovirus pathogens become airborne, we must assume they have spread to surrounding walls, furniture, door knobs and other high-touch areas, everything within that 25-foot radius. In this case, making sure none of the students or teachers are allowed in the area is the best way to protect their health.”
Carey also suggests that when an incident such as this occurs, cleaning workers must have all the tools they need in one place, ready to go. “This is why they need a spill kit. The spill kit has everything needed to cleanup the area. We simply don’t have the time to be looking around for tools and supplies.”
The spill kit should include the protective gear mentioned earlier as well as such items as:
- An absorbent spill pad approximately 12 inches by 12 inches
- Disposable towels
- Trash bags and ties (preferably colored yellow, which indicates a warning or caution)
The spill pad is key to the cleanup. An effective spill pad will absorb most of the vomit, removing it from the incident area.
“At the same time the cleaning crew is doing their job, something school administrators should be doing is making sure all children, teachers, and staff, wash their hands thoroughly,” he adds. “It’s always important to encourage effective hand hygiene in schools, but with a norovirus outbreak, it’s imperative.”
For more information on ways to prevent norovirus from spreading and keeping people healthy, contact a DayMark Safety Systems representative.
A problem many cooks and food service professionals must grapple with, is how long to allow just-cooked food to cool down safely (sometimes referred to as the “chill down”) before placing it in a refrigerator or freezer for storage. If food cools too slowly, bacteria can build up that can cause food poisoning. If the food is placed in [...]
If you’re in the foodservice industry, especially involved with food preparation, proper handwashing is very important. While office workers and those working in most all other industries can get by just remembering to sing Happy Birthday to themselves twice as they wash (the oft-cited way to measure the full 20 seconds required to effectively wash hands), for food [...]
In September 2016, many people attending a catered lunch developed a gastrointestinal illness. Local health officials were called in to investigate and surveys were sent to all those attending to help determine how this happened. Here’s what was discovered: Approximately 50 people attended the lunch, 30 of whom (60 percent) became ill. They all reported diarrhea, abdominal pain, and headaches. The average interval from [...]
As a chef poured some pancake batter onto a griddle, his hand accidentally touched the side of the griddle. In less than a second, he hears an audible hiss—the sound of flesh, his own flesh in this case, being burned.It happened so fast, his brain had not even detected the accident. As soon as it did, he jumped back. [...]
What is referred to as "time and temperature abuse" is a leading cause of food poisoning. Time abuse refers to the fact that at a certain point, bacteria will start to grow in cooked foods such as meats, fish, pork, and poultry that have been left out at room temperatures. In about two hours, these bacteria can make food [...]
DayMark introduces cloud-based, app-driven food prep and Grab & Go labeling platform DayMark Safety Systems’ new kitchen automation system is designed to transform the way restaurants, quick-service retailers and non-commercial kitchens safely prepare the food they serve consumers. Key to the platform is DayMark’s new Gateway, a proprietary digital distribution platform (commonly referred to as an “app store”) for the foodservice industry. This cloud-based system hosts [...]
Some restaurant owners and managers may think that health code inspectors are just interested in finding code violations at the time they come to inspect a commercial kitchen. While they certainly will “write up” violations they find at the time of the inspection, what many are checking for now is what we can term “management control.” In other words, they [...]
DayMark Safety Systems Expands Kitchen Automation Solutions with Temperature Monitoring Offering February 2, 2018; Bowling Green, OH – Imagine a reliable HACCP-compliant solution that is easy to use, accurate, and saves foodservice operators time and money by eliminating the need for manual fridge, freezer and line check monitoring, hand-recorded logs, and emailed audits. DayMark® Safety Systems, a global food service industry pioneer in date [...]
All throughout the year, consumers regularly toss leftover food in the freezer, planning to reheat and enjoy them later. But freezing leftovers may not always be safe. In fact, it can be hazardous, for both consumers and those in the foodservice industry serving hundreds if not thousands of people.To better understand the finer points, as he calls [...]